“With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
For the complete Psalm 91 devotional booklet, click here.
The sentiment expressed in the last verse of Psalm 91 is a fitting conclusion to this entire Psalm dedicated to detailing God’s expansive love.
Not only does He save, shelter, rescue, cover, protect, send angels to guard, and honor us, He also satisfies us with “long life.”
“Forever” (orek in the original language)! 
Of course this one and that one live a literal “long life” here on the planet, many hundreds of years in days of old, according to some Biblical accounts. In our day, just one hundred years seems the maximum. Ironically, however, the notion in the world is that the “good die young!”
(“Hmmmmm, ssssssssssssss,” says one to himself, the stench of sulfur in his nostrils, a sneer on his face. “Now THAT notion will keep them from making a decision to follow….Him…. until it’s too late.”)
But regardless of how long we live on earth, the time when time will be no more stretches vast ahead–where The One Who Hisses will also be no more.
The contrast of an eternity of peace versus the shortness of earthly life with its struggles whether it be 10 or 110 years, reminds me of a conversation my mother and I had from time to time during the last years of her life.
Because she suffered with congestive heart failure and several other maladies, she sensed she could die at any time, particularly in her eighties (she died at 86). Once in awhile, when this or that ailment was causing frustration or alarm, she liked to be reminded of something I came up with once that ministered to us both.
I told her I could imagine us having a few chuckles over a comment such as this, some day, in the peace and provision of paradise: “Now, tell me again, just WHY it was that we wanted to live forever DOWN THERE?!”
Life in Christ is truly the Never Ending Story—with the happy ending.
And it all starts here by receiving Him as Lord and Savior.
Share a story of your own where you were encouraged or comforted by remembering what stretches before us in eternity.
 Strong’s Concordance, # 753.
Image from the public domain.
- In The Midst of the Fray: Psalm 91:15, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)
- In The Midst of the Fray: Psalm 91:14, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 91 in the Midst of the Fray: Verse 13, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 91 in the Midst of the Fray: Verses 9-10, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 91 (christspiration.com)
- Psalm 91 in the Midst of the Fray: Verses 5-6, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)
- Psalm 91 in the Midst of the Fray: Verses 11-12, and Share Your Story (pnissila.wordpress.com)